Blonde By Design

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Still stuck on last Saturday...

So, after I escaped from the balloon and parade ceremonies at the SUV dealership and get back home, I had a baby christening party that I needed to make an appearance at. I'd all ready given the parents, who happen to be neighbors as well, a little gift card to help with the party. They're good kids. A young couple just out of high school. He has a bit of a watchful roaming eye. She has a tendency to lean toward jealousy. All in all good kids... and the baby is a little princess.

I had all ready had an overload of attention given to me for one day at the car dealership and was a bit nervous about walking into this Christening party. Especially nervous because I'm pretty sure I'll be the only white girl there. The only tall, blonde, white girl.

I was.

*sighs*

To help take my nervousness down a notch, I stopped by the baby department at Mervyn's and picked up a couple of little dresses for my favorite little Princess. Carrying a gift, I'm thinking, will be a distraction and make me .... less noticeable, less visible... right??
(go with me on this one, please ... Just say, uh huh... you're right... ok?)

The purchases was one of those EUREKA moments! Two little dresses, on SALE. Each $3.99 and WAY cute! Damn! I'm thinking, for that price, Princess should have three!!! And a stuffed toy.

So, now I'm off to the Baby Christening party. I drive by and check it out first. It's an outdoor party. Ok, deep breathes, I can do this. Right? I must be insane. It must be after shock from buying a new car. Maybe I was sleep walking last night, fell ... and bumped my head.
Blonde Damage. Something. My vow to get out more really didn't mean twice in one day... did it??

*sighs*

The young couple (and everyone else) watch me arrive and walk into the area where everyone is sitting, eating, visiting, and dancing. I don't understand one word being sung.... or said. My Spanish is limited to ... ummmm... no habla espanol. lol

Immediately the little wife's older brother greets me, leads me to the gift table and puts my package with the growing mound of brightly colored bags and gift wrapped boxes. Princess made a haul!

No one is dancing except for my little neighbors and their baby, and the wife gestures for me to join them on the dance floor. (ok, can you just hearrrrr me groan now???) Without even hesitating a moment, the brother takes my hand and leads me out on the dance floor... and there I am following his lead... doing what I later discovered was the Salsa.

Well, how would I know that?

My little neighbor came running up to me afterward, bright smile on her face, and said, "Sprite! I didn't know you could do the Salsa!!" I smiled back and said, "I didn't know it either." We both laughed, danced another set, then the brother had to be excused to go pick up their Uncle and I made my escape to go home.

It was fun... but ... I have to be careful with the brother. Too much Latin blood in that boy. What is it about younger men and me? *sighs* I could be his mother!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home