Blonde By Design

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Some things just never change...














It didn't take being home long to find that some things never change - they're just not quite as bad as they used to be - mellowed in a way.

On a trip to, Home on the Range, I never know quite what to expect, but I always expect to step back into the farm shoes I once wore, jumping in to help where ever needed. It could be moving a grain truck, fixing a meal, or... herding cattle.

I think the buzz word for this visit was "the cows are out." ..... *again.*

*laughs*

No, serious.

The Cows WERE out. SOMEONE left the gate open. Then there was a discussion of WHO let the cows out, a round of sighs, accusing looks, and a bit of mumbling. Generally, it seems, my poor little sister-in-law gets most of the blame.

Even if she wasn't home when the cows were out.

She's blonde, so she's gotten pretty good at tuning out the voices that whine from my family tree.

*laughs and rolls eyes at family*

The trip was REALLY, REALLY hard on my poor perfectly manicured nails.
Like a dummy, I'd cut my normally long fingernails short, thinking this would be the *smart* move for traveling and save me from breaking a nail. WRONG. I broke, I chipped... I'd never had my hands look a bigger mess. I was dying to run into town for a manicure, but really, there wasn't time.

Holding my hands out in front of me, a disgusted, silly look on my face, I told my sister, "OMG, look at my nails, I look just like a bag lady!"

My sister laughs, holds her hands out in front of her and mimics me, "OMG, will you look at my nails, I look just like a bag lady."

We both laugh, I giggle and say, "You're right, that's totally the wrong color for a bag lady."

The wireless internet connection and phone I needed to use for work were *not* taken care of the way I was told it would be.

*sighs*

They didn't even have the wireless router set up until that morning - only to discover it didn't work and no one could figure out why. Sadly enough, although very bright, my younger brother was stuck in a state of *know-it-all-ism* and only managed to frustrate himself. (rather like a guy who is lost and refuses to stop and ask for directions.)

*frowns*

Yes, that *IS* a frown you see on my smiley little face.

My family's work ethics and life style and my work ethics and life style are, shall we say, a wee bit different. If you're a client of mine, you KNOW I never disappear from calling range without letting you know in advance.

I, in all my blonde loving ways, didn't let anyone know I would be out of reach, because I hadn't PLANNED on being out of reach and was ASSURED I'd be able to work while I was at Home on the Range. I'd planned for sketchy road travel connection. I did NOT plan for THIS.

Game plan over. I'm now on plan ... F.

*laughs - guess what *f* stands for - grins*

Nothing worked out, nothing was taken care of, and I'm left hanging, not able to work. I had made it very clear to everyone for the past month that if I were to make this trip what I needed. That it had to be a working trip, I had clients scheduled and responsibilities. Ummm.... the "no problem" answers I got are now, ummm.... "a problem."

*double sighs with a frown*

I'm not really sure I should even be surprised. Afterall, these ARE the same people that left me stranded and for homeless in the later part of the 90's when I was so weak and sick I didn't even have the strength to brush my teeth.

After several deep cleansing breathes, reaching inside my soul and inventing a whole new form of ZEN, I tell myself it will all work out, my clients will understand, my business will continue to prosper and flourish - everything will be groovy. (and I remind myself that frowning gives wrinkles... No frowns allowed! lol)

I don't think my parents OR my brother are worried about me paying MY bills nor take my job too seriously.

*giggles*

Well, that is, not until a client from NASA called my parents home.

*gives dumbest blonde look*

Hey, he WAS on the schedule. lol

Far be it for my inconvenience to become his.






2 Comments:

  • Hi ya, Sprite.

    Your post reminds me of the city mouse/country mouse folktale, and we all know how that ends. You're all city, my friend, and kudos to you for reinventing yourself as the independent entity you are. That said, you go have yourself a manicure AND a spa pedicure and to hell with those cows!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM  

  • *laughs* Thanks, Adonaise. In truth I am a little bit city and a little bit country. But please, don't make me listen to country music unless I'm doing the 2-step.

    I have to admit, first thing I did after I got home was have a facial, manicure and pedicure! *grins* Scheduled appointment made via cell phone on the way home. After all, one must be a well organized city/country girl! *smiles*

    By Blogger Sprite, at 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home